March is Poison Prevention Awareness Month. As a dog, I love food. And almost any people food. Yes, I will skip lettuce and apples but squash is YUM. Dogs rely on their nose every day to guide them around food choices, but we rely on our people to help us too. Sniffing out Xylitol is impossible for me! I need my PL to make sure this artificial sweetener is never near the edge of the counter, or near my bowl because for dogs, it is poisonous.
My people learned early about the dangers of chocolate, but many people still don't know that any kind of chocolate, a Hershey Kiss, a peanut butter cup and even a white chocolate macadamia nut cookie is toxic to dogs. Grrr, I guess there are some things that PL cannot share with me. At least he can give me a taste of the roast chicken when he's carving it. Double YUM.
Easter is in two weeks, so look at the list we have below and be sure to keep those tasty smelling Easter Baskets in the food box.
If you witness your pet consuming material that you suspect might be toxic, do not hesitate to seek emergency assistance, even if you do not notice any adverse effects. Sometimes, even if poisoned, an animal may appear normal for several hours or for days after the incident. Call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435.
Read this list of people foods and ingredients from the ASPCA that could hurt or kill a dog:
Chocolate, Coffee, Caffeine These products all contain substances called methylxanthines, which are found in cacao seeds, the fruit of the plant used to make coffee and in the nuts of an extract used in some sodas. When ingested by pets, methylxanthines can cause vomiting and diarrhea, panting, excessive thirst and urination, hyperactivity, abnormal heart rhythm, tremors, seizures and even death. Note that darker chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate. White chocolate has the lowest level of methylxanthines, while baking chocolate contains the highest.